Names - a Chestertonian policy?

Observations, queries, ideas for the forum, not GKC related.

Names - a Chestertonian policy?

Postby Jonny » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:36 pm

Given GKC's opposition to anonymity in publishing, does anyone have any thoughts on whether members should be required to declare their real names in the forum?

Unfortunately the current forum software, unlike some others, doesn't allow for a separate username and display name and requiring a full username may be awkward for those with long names (a certain Dublin member comes to mind), but names could be added to signatures.
Jonny
Site Admin

Re: Names - a Chestertonian policy?

Postby brian » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:40 pm

I think it depends on how similar we want the forum to be to the publishing of Chesterton's day (and of "old media" today)--complete, (supposedly) deliberate articles that usually seem like more-or-less one-way communications. To me, a forum is more informal and spontaneous--a virtual coffee house, and sometimes even the virtual barroom, as in the illustration Maol published when he plugged the forum on his blog. If I write an article in a newspaper, i should be willing to put my name on it and have anyone be able to see it and associate with me; but if I have to feel that way about everything I say in a coffeehouse or a barroom, that might be a little inhibiting. Not a big deal, though--if I had to use my last name, I'd probably just a post a little more slowly and deliberately, which might not be a bad thing. It just wouldn't be my preference. Maybe this could be like the "last word" thing; you could include in the guidelines what Chesterton said about anonymity, and let readers decide whether and how this applies to forum participation.
brian

Postby Maolsheachlann » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:11 pm

Well, I don't mind about pseudonyms, but it would be nice to see peoples' faces, since it's always disconcerting addressing someone without a face. How about profile pictures? Of course, that couldn't be a forum rule, since nothing is more likely to inhibit people. It's just a suggestion for whoever would like to put theirs' up.
Maolsheachlann

Postby Jonny » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:47 am

Maolsheachlann wrote:Well, I don't mind about pseudonyms, but it would be nice to see peoples' faces [...]

Edit 30th August 2010:

Avatars are now enabled. Please see here for Avatar rules.
Jonny
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions & Comments