Forum Rules and Recommendations - please read before posting

Observations, queries, ideas for the forum, not GKC related.

Forum Rules and Recommendations - please read before posting

Postby Jonny » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:04 pm

These rules are a work in progress. Please check for amendments and additions regularly.

Registration - choosing a username

When choosing a username, please consider that a real name in everyday use is more likely to foster friendly interaction between members. It's easy to assume FredJones to be a reasoning individual, but more demanding in the case of grotbarrow93.

If you wish to change your username, please send me a PM and I'll assign temporary permission to do so. (Allowing members to change names at will could cause confusion).

Conduct and Intent

This forum aspires to the debating standards of G.K. Chesterton, namely:

• A man who says the last word on a subject ought to be killed. He is a murderer; he has slain a topic.[from Daily News Dec 22 1904 quoted in Chesterton on Shakespeare 159)]
    • Friendliness and respect toward members at all times, in both forum and private messaging.
    • Avoidance of ad hominem argument or reaction:
      1. arising from or appealing to the emotions and not reason or logic.
      2. attacking an opponent’s motives or character rather than the policy or position they maintain.
Moderation

Where content is judged to be deliberately offensive, inflammatory or threatening, or of questionable legality, posts may be deleted or modified.

Members may bring such posts to the attention of the Forum Admin by clicking the "Report this post" icon (exclamation mark) included in the upper section of each post.

Where to post

G.K. Chesterton - currently, all topics specifically concerning Chesterton should be posted to the General Discussion forum. More specific forums will be created as and when the range of topics makes classification desirable.

Off-topic - topics initiated without direct reference to Chesterton should go in the appropriate forum listed in the Everything Else (Off topic) category. Such topics may, of course, subsequently mention or gravitate toward GKC over time. Members who are deemed to have registered for the sole purpose of posting non-Chesterton related topics may have such topics deleted and their membership suspended.

Forum related - Please post any suggestions, comments or queries in Suggestions & Comments in the Forum Management category.

Editing Posts

Editing posts can cause confusion if replies have been already been posted to them. If you wish to make a significant edit i.e. one that substantially alters the content of a post rather than correcting spelling or formatting, please open the topic in a new browser window and check that no replies have been made to the post you wish to amend. If a reply has been made, do not submit a substantial edit, but instead post a new reply.

Formatting Recommendations

Emphasis. When emphasis is required, please use either the Bold or Italic function. Select the text to be emphasized and click the B or i button in the toolbar. Avoid emphasizing with CAPITALS or larger text as this may be construed as shouting.

Block Quoting. To make it clear where blocks of a previous post or 3rd party content is being quoted, please use the Quote function. Select the quoted text and click the Quote button in the toolbar. This helps avoid misunderstandings of attribution. Source can be cited as follows:

Code: Select all
[quote="G.K. Chesterton, in As I Was Saying, XXIV About Changing Human Nature"]quoted text[/quote]

which renders as:
G.K. Chesterton, in As I Was Saying, XXIV About Changing Human Nature wrote:quoted text

Headings. If you wish to use headings, please use either plain or emboldened Large size text. If using Large it is suggested that the size value in the opening [size=] tag - be no more than 150. If two or more levels of headings are required, using Large for the second level with a size of 125 works well.

Linking Text. If you wish to link a section of text to an URL rather than display the URL itself, select the text, click the URL button in the toolbar, add a = character after "[URL" and then the URL as in the example using gkcforum.org below, which will be rendered A text link

Code: Select all
[url=http://gkcforum.org]A text link[/url]
Jonny
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions & Comments